Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Ant Boat Races

You never know what boys will come up with. Galen designed a 2x4 scrap outrigger with sticks for masts and leaves for sails and built two of them, one for him and one for Sullivan. Then they raced them down the creek from footlog to footlog. Later they were digging in the dirt in the barn and found some big ants with big pinchers that can grab onto your finger. For some reason they decided to put them on their boats and float them down the creek.

This is "ant boat" racing:
  • put your ant on your boat
  • put the boats in the water at the same time at footlog #1
  • if your ant falls off before reaching footlog #2, you lose
  • if both ants fall off or both ants stay on, the first boat to footlog #2 wins
Stop by if you are in the neighborhood and join in the fun. Maybe I can get a picture of the boats and ants tomorrow.

3 comments:

Lou's S14 said...

Wow, that's really cool. Your kids are really creative, reminds me of my younger years. I think I'm gonna try that whenever I head back home. However, I don't think there's any big ants around where I live. All we got are fire ants and I surely don't want to mess with them.

mw62750 said...

It was really interesting to hear of your kid's creativity. I remember when I was growing up I used to pretend this tree I climbed in was a house and each branch was a different room, like a kitchen, a bedroom, and even a living room with a big window in it. I don't think I ever played with ants though. I grew up in Hawaii, which was amazing, and I remember playing with the green anoele chamelions and jackson chamelions. I would catch them when they were babies and train them to do cool tricks, like hang from my earlobes like a pair of earings.

Paige said...

Wow, ant boat racing sounds pretty involved. This definitely reminds me of something my two younger brothers would have concocted a few years ago. I like all the different rules that go along with ant boat racing. Pretty creative.